About the Map
The map I have used for the header was created by Maurice Gomberg in 1941. I have included it here on my site because it is a visual representation of the ideology of the New Western Age. It was published in 1942 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. One of the few remaining copies can be viewed at the Library of Congress.
It is generally believed to have been created before the United States entered World War 2. The U.S. entered the war as a result of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. The details are vague about its true intent and few details about Maurice Gomberg can be found. It is important to note that it mimics Franklin D. Roosevelt’s famous Four Freedoms speech he gave as the State of the Union Address on January 6, 1941. Being prone to occasions of creativity myself, I can’t dismiss the possibility that it could merely be the product of a hobby of map making mixed with some imagination; an idealistic, utopian labor of love you might say. Nonetheless, it was created and it is interesting.
I have included a picture of the map, a link to FDR’s full speech and the full text from the Gomberg Map for review.
You can view the full map with zoom capability by clicking on the image:
Text and audio of FDR’s speech: http://www.fdrlibrary.marist.edu/fourfreedoms.html
Text from the Gomberg Map follows.
OUR POLICY SHALL BE THIS:
1. “We, the U.S.A., in cooperation with our allies, for reasons of our national safety and in the interests of international morality, are determined to crush and completely destroy, the military power of the Axis aggressors and their satellites regardless of cost, effort and time necessary to accomplish this task.
2. The old world order of colonial oppression, exploitation of dominions, rival imperialisms and mercenary balance of power diplomacy; of majesties, dictators, privileged minorities, plutocratic monopolists and similar social parasites; the corrupted order responsible for the present world cataclysm, endangering our national safety and peaceful progress, shall never rise again.
3. A New World Moral Order for permanent peace and freedom shall be established at the successful conclusion of the present war.
4. For reasons of history, economic structure, favorable geography and the welfare of mankind, the USA must, altruistically, assume the leadership of the newly established, democratic world order.
5. To reduce the burden and criminal waste of armaments expenditures everywhere in the world, the USA, with the cooperation of Latin-America, the British Commonwealth of Nations, and the USSR shall undertake to guarantee peace to the nations which will be permanently disarmed and demilitarized after the conclusion of the present war.
6. In order to be able, in fulfillment of our obligations, to effectively prevent the possibility of a recurrence of another world cataclysm, the invincibility of the USA as a military, naval and air power, shall be the major prerequisite.
7. For realistic considerations of strategy and our invulnerability, it is imperative that the USA shall obtain relinquishment of controls of their possessions from all foreign Powers in the entire Western Hemisphere, its surrounding waters and strategic island outposts as outlined on accompanying map.
8. For considerations of hemispheric defense and in the spirit and tradition of the new Monroe Doctrine of hemispheric solidarity and the “Good Neighbor” policy, the USA, with the consent of the Latin-American Republics, shall obtain control and protectorate rights of the relinquished territories.
9. To strengthen our position in the Caribbean area which is of obvious importance to hemispheric defense, all possible inducements shall be offered to our neighbors of Central America and the West Indies to facilitate their entrance as equal states of the USA as outlined on map.
10. To fortify the politico-economic unity of the Western Hemisphere, the USA shall ‘promote and assist the unification of South America into a well organized, democratic, federated “United States of South America”.
11. The liberated British, French and Netherlands Guianas shall be reorganized as one state of the U.S.S.A.
12. All Powers shall relinquish their controls of their colonial, mandate and strategic island possessions everywhere in the world.
13. The British Commonwealth of Nations, the second military and naval Power of importance cooperating in a binding compact with the USA as a Power for freedom, shall retain and acquire control of such territories, peace-security bases and strategic island outposts essential for the maintenance of world peace and freedom of the seas as outlined on map.
14. The USSR, the third military Power of importance cooperating with the USA as a Power for freedom and the maintenance of world peace, shall acquire control of the liberated, disorganized adjacent areas and those of Germany-Austria to be reeducated and eventually incorporated as equal republics of the USSR, as approximately outlined on map.
15. A World League of Nationalities with arbitration and supervision powers shall be organized.
16. A World Court with punitive powers of absolute boycott, quarantine blockade and occupation by international police, against lawbreakers of international morality shall be organized.
17. The USA, with the close cooperation of the United States of South America, the British Commonwealth of Nations, the USSR and the World League of Nationalities, shall promote and assist in the unification of the relinquished territories and the areas at present unsoundly divided into well organized, democratic and absolutely demilitarized federated republics as approximately outlined on map.
18. The areas known as Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg, Switzerland, France, Spain, Portugal, the island of Corsica, and eventually Italy and the islands of Sardinia and Sicily shall be unified as a demilitarized, federated “United States of Europe”.
19. The areas known as Sweden, Norway, Denmark and the Spitsbergen islands shall be unified as a demilitarized, federated “United States of Scandinavia”.
20. The continent of Africa shall be reorganized and unified as a demilitarized federated “Union of African Republics”.
21. The areas known as Saudi Arabia, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Hejas, Yemen, Aden and Oman, shall be unified as a demilitarized union of “Arabian Federated Republics”.
22. The areas known as India, including Afghanistan, Baluchistan, Nepal, Bhutan and Burma shall be unified as a demilitarized “Federated Republics of India”.
23. The areas known as China, Inner Mongolia, Tibet, Thailand, Malaya, Indo-China and Korea, shall be unified as a demilitarized, federated “United Republics of China”.
24. The areas known as Greece, Macedonia, Albania, Crete, Dodecanese and adjacent islands in the Aegean Sea shall be unified as a demilitarized “Federated Republic of Greece”.
25. The areas known as Eire and Northern Ireland shall be unified as a demilitarized independent republic of “Eire”.
26. The area of the Holy Land of the ancient Hebrews, at present known as Palestine and Trans-Jordan, and the adjacent requisite regions as outlined on map, for considerations of history and the imperative necessity to alleviate a post-war refugee problem, shall be unified as a demilitarized independent republic of “Hebrewland”.
27. The area known as European Turkey, adjacent to the Dardanelles, sea of Marmora and Bosphorus, for considerations of realistic peace strategy shall be placed under joint control of USSR and Turkey.
28. The area known as Turkey shall be a demilitarized independent republic of “Turkey”.
29. All problems of exchange, transfer and repatriation of populations shall be administered by the World League of Nationalities.
30. The criminal perpetrators and their partners in guilt of this hideous war shall be brought to justice and unforgettable punishment administered.
31. All subjects of Japan and all persons of Japanese origin of doubtful loyalty shall be permanently expelled from the entire Western Hemisphere, USA protectorates and strategic island outposts and their property confiscated for post-war reconstruction needs.
32. All subjects of Germany and Italy and all persons of German and Italian origin known as active supporters of nazi and fascist ideologies shall be treated similarly.
33. German, Italian and Japanese immigration to the Western Hemisphere, its protectorates and island outposts shall be indefinitely stopped.
34. All persons of German origin in East Prussia and the Rhineland shall be transferred to inner Germany and the regions permanently de-Prussianized.
35. All persons of German, Italian and Japanese origin shall be permanently expelled from their now conquered territories and their property confiscated for post-war reconstruction needs.
36. To cleanse the populations of the defeated Axis aggressors of the intoxication of military chauvinism; to effectuate the removal and destruction of their potential military establishments; to recover the accumulated loot and to re-educate them for their eventual membership in the Family of Nations, the areas of Germany-Austria, Italy and Japan shall be hermetically and indefinitely quarantined and administered by appointed Governors subject to supervision by the World League of Nationalities.
37. All resources, industrial and 1abor capacity of the quarantined areas shall be employed for the post-war restoration and reconstruction needs.
38. To reduce the numerical power of the aggressor nations, as a potential military advantage, a Population Control Policy shall be elaborated and applied in the quarantined areas.
39. In the New World Moral Order which we seek to establish, beside the
essential political freedom, the following fundamental economic changes are imperative:
(a) Nationalization of all natural resources and equitable distribution of same to all nations everywhere in the world;
(b) Nationalization of international banking, foreign investments, railroads and power plants – everywhere in the world;
(c) Nationalization of an armaments producing establishments by all remaining military powers;
(d) Federal control of foreign commerce and shipping;
(e) The establishment of a world common monetary system;
(f) World-wide limitations of interest rates to maximum of two percent.
40. To retain the victory and leadership of our united democratic effort the aim of which is not vengeance or exploitation, but freedom and security to all nations for peaceful progress – the unified “Supreme War Command of the United Nations” at the conclusion of the present war, shall be reorganized and transformed into a permanent “Supreme Military and Economic Council” collaborating with the “World League of Nationalities” in post-war reconstruction and to enforce world peace.
41. The “Supreme Military and Economic Council” shall appoint the Governors to administer the quarantined areas until their eventual parole. For this purposeful beginning we must fight until absolute victory.